- Grand Hotel Wien
- Stay with Us
- Dine With Us
- Meetings & Events
- Offers & Packages
- Grand Spa
- Photo Gallery
- Latest News
- Contact Us
History of the Grand Hotel Wien
A maison meublée, built by the renowned architect Carl Tietz
In 1862, the Viennese Hotelier Anton Schneider acquired the premises where the Grand Hotel Wien stands today. A so-called maison meublée, a furnished house, was built according to the plans of the renowned architect Carl Tietz.
The first Grand Hotel in Vienna
Later on the building was turned into a hotel. On May 10th,1870 the Grand Hotel Wien was opened as the first Grand Hotel in Vienna. The fabulous Grand Hotel Wien offered 300 rooms, 200 bathrooms, steam elevators and a telegraph office, which was a sensation at that time.
At the very hub of Viennese social life
The Grand Hotel Wien quickly became famous for being at the very hub of Viennese social life. For example, in 1894 Johann Strauss, the king of Waltz, celebrated his 50-year jubilee on stage in the Grand Hotel Wien. Because of this noble status, it was hard to get a room at the Grand Hotel Wien, it was nearly all the time fully booked!
Early 20th Century Expansion
In 1911, the Grand Hotel Wien reached its largest expansion. Two
of the neighbouring houses, Kaerntner Ring 11 and 13, were
acquired, and after extensive renovations the buildings were joined
together. Thereafter, the Grand Hotel Wien was able to offer 100
additional rooms and several elegant salons.
In 1945 the Grand Hotel Wien had to close its doors for 10 years, as the Russian troops engrossed the building.
After minor renovations the Grand Hotel Wien was re-opened by Director Walter Scheel, but just after a year it was sold to the Austrian government, who offered it to the International Atomic Energy Agency. It became their headquarter for over 20 years.
In 1989, after the International Atomic Energy Agency had moved out, All Nippon Airways bought the building, reduced it to its original size and restored the beautiful, traditional façade while the interior of the building was newly constructed. The emphasis was put on tradition with state-of-the art technology.
Renovation & Re-opening
After a 100 million Euro renovation, the ANA Grand Hotel Wien was officially inaugurated on June 14th, 1994. The target had been reached: the Grand Hotel Wien´s glittering past and shining future had been fused!
JJW Hotels & Resorts
On August 1st, 2002 the international hotel company JJW Hotels & Resorts bought the Grand Hotel Wien, and manages it since then as a "Leading Hotel of the World".
Further details about the history of the Grand Hotel Wien: 140 Years Grand Hotel Wien (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- Le Ciel Grill Lunch
- Suite Theater
- WWF Earth Hour 2013
- New Grand Spa No605 has opened
- Horst Mayer New General Manager
- Afternoon Tea
- Kaiseki-Zui-un at Restaurant Unkai
- Christmas & New Year at the Grand Hotel Wien
- Gault Millau 2013: Grand Hotel Wien celebrates four toques
- Maid-Made: New GRAND Housekeeping Uniforms
- Smart Guide Vienna
- 2012 Golden Tea Leaf for the Grand Hotel Wien
- The teppanyaki experience at Unkai
- 36 new Superior Rooms at the Grand Hotel Wien
- Eis and the city
- FK Austria Wien catering contract renewed
- Le Ciel Lunch: Lucky Thirteen
- Jacqueline Pfeiffer (Le Ciel): Chef of the Year 2012
- New sake sommelier at Unkai
- Grand Hotel Wien Gift Vouchers
- Christmas Time at the Grand Hotel Wien
- New Year’s Eve gala at the Quadrille
- Grand Hotel Wien supports the Global Social Business Summit 2011
- Grand Hotel Wien voted best hotel in Austria
- Gault Millau 2012: Grand Hotel Wien celebrates four toques
- New GRAND Uniforms
- Centennial of FK Austria Wien
- Schanigarten Season in Vienna
- New Grand Fragrance
- Unkai shines in new splendor
- Lake´s opens in Pörtschach am Wörthersee
- 140 Years of the Grand Hotel Wien
- The hotel ‘gardens’ have opened
- K Hotels International presented
- Guglhupf designed by Gustav Klimt
- World Travel Awards 2009
- Gault Millau 2010 places the restaurants of the Grand Hotel Wien among the best ones in Austria
- Fundraising Dinner at the Belvedere
- Catering contract with FK Austria Wien
- Emballissimo Award
- Sushi Cooking Courses with Head Chef Hiroshi Sakai
- Unkai Sushi Bar - Now Open
- Opening of 'The Ring'