- Grand Hotel Wien
- Stay with Us
- Dine With Us
- Meetings & Events
- Grand Catering
- Offers & Packages
- Grand Spa
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us
140 Years of the Grand Hotel Wien
June 23rd, 2010
Vienna's first luxury hotel
When the Grand Hotel Wien opened its doors in 1870, it was Vienna's first luxury hotel and the first of the famous hotels on the prestigious Ringstrasse boulevard.
After four years of construction, originally as a maison meublée based on a design by the architect Carl Tietz, its owner Anton Schneider converted it from a private house to a hotel as soon as it was completed. It was the Habsburg Empire's first hotel to have the word "GRAND" in its name - an attribute it rightly deserved since it set entirely new standards in the then booming city of Vienna.
Offering far more than comfortable beds and wellappointed rooms, it featured restaurants, a coffee house, a bar, salons, an in-house laundry service, a carpentry workshop, and stables for guests' horses. The hotel was also situated in an exclusive location: a year before its opening, the new imperial Opera House, today the Vienna State Opera, opened only 200 meters from the hotel. The nearby Musikverein concert hall was inaugurated in 1870 as well.
- Theatre in the suite - stage opens at the President Suite
- Le Ciel head chef Jacqueline Pfeiffer enchants America’s billionaires
- Grand Hotel Wien and Vienna City Marathon launch new partnership
- Afternoon Tea
- New Director of Sales & Marketing for the Austrian JJW Hotels & Resorts
- Open House at 29th September
- Suite Theater
- WWF Earth Hour 2013
- New Grand Spa No605 has opened