- Grand Hotel Wien
- Stay with Us
- Dine With Us
- Meetings & Events
- Offers & Packages
- Grand Spa
- Photo Gallery
- Latest News
- Contact Us
The hotel ‘gardens’ have opened
April 1st, 2010
From March until October the so-called 'Schanigarten-tradition' plays an essential role in everyday life in Vienna. Tables are set up on the sidewalks and people rejoice in sitting in these 'gardens' in front of the cafés and coffeehouses and enjoy small snacks and drinks.
The term 'Schanigarten' probably originates from an apprentice boy to a waiter, called 'Schani', being told to "Put up the garden!" as soon as spring arrived. He then dutifully obeyed the order by carrying chairs, tables and flower boxes outside.
Grand Hotel Wien and The Ring, Vienna's Casual Luxury Hotel, have opened a total of seven 'Schanigärten' in Vienna. This overview shall be of assistance to you to choose your favorite one for your personal culinary sunbath.
The 'Schanigarten' of the Grand Hotel Wien at the famed boulevard Ringstraße looks back on a great tradition. About 100 years ago the terrace in front of the hotel has already been one of the hotspots of the city during summertime. To sit in the sun, see and be seen, and enjoy one's favorite coffee was then and is today one of the most popular leisure activities.
The best view
Sitting here brings you a little closer to the sky - not only the culinary creations are heavenly on the terrace of the gourmet restaurant Le Ciel on the 7th floor of the Grand Hotel Wien but also the breathtaking views over the city of Vienna.
Unkai Sushi on the ground floor of the Grand Hotel Wien in no time came to be a favorite meeting place among all fans of Japanese culinary art. Unkai Sushi's 'garden' ideally matches the best of the Viennese 'Schanigarten-tradition' with the tradition of Japanese Sushi-art in its highest form.
Casual Luxury - This promise made by The Ring hotel is also kept by its two 'Schanigärten'. Nowhere on the famed boulevard Ringstraße is it possible to relax classier than it is in the new 'gardens' of the restaurant at eight and the bar Drings.
Here, nature, history, architecture, and art blend together into one fascinating whole - while coffee blends are being served in the gardens. The two 'Schanigärten' in the beautiful Castle Belvedere invite to linger and enjoy after a walk through the baroque gardens or a visit in the art gallery.
- Le Ciel Grill Lunch
- Suite Theater
- WWF Earth Hour 2013
- New Grand Spa No605 has opened
- Horst Mayer New General Manager
- Afternoon Tea
- Kaiseki-Zui-un at Restaurant Unkai
- Christmas & New Year at the Grand Hotel Wien
- Gault Millau 2013: Grand Hotel Wien celebrates four toques
- Maid-Made: New GRAND Housekeeping Uniforms
- Smart Guide Vienna
- 2012 Golden Tea Leaf for the Grand Hotel Wien
- The teppanyaki experience at Unkai
- 36 new Superior Rooms at the Grand Hotel Wien
- Eis and the city
- FK Austria Wien catering contract renewed
- Le Ciel Lunch: Lucky Thirteen
- Jacqueline Pfeiffer (Le Ciel): Chef of the Year 2012
- New sake sommelier at Unkai
- Grand Hotel Wien Gift Vouchers
- Christmas Time at the Grand Hotel Wien
- New Year’s Eve gala at the Quadrille
- Grand Hotel Wien supports the Global Social Business Summit 2011
- Grand Hotel Wien voted best hotel in Austria
- Gault Millau 2012: Grand Hotel Wien celebrates four toques
- New GRAND Uniforms
- Centennial of FK Austria Wien
- Schanigarten Season in Vienna
- New Grand Fragrance
- Unkai shines in new splendor
- Lake´s opens in Pörtschach am Wörthersee
- 140 Years of the Grand Hotel Wien
- The hotel ‘gardens’ have opened
- K Hotels International presented
- Guglhupf designed by Gustav Klimt
- World Travel Awards 2009
- Gault Millau 2010 places the restaurants of the Grand Hotel Wien among the best ones in Austria
- Fundraising Dinner at the Belvedere
- Catering contract with FK Austria Wien
- Emballissimo Award
- Sushi Cooking Courses with Head Chef Hiroshi Sakai
- Unkai Sushi Bar - Now Open
- Opening of 'The Ring'